Concrete examples tell us about the general trends in viral content. By the way, the results exclude videos on YouTube, Vine and music videos. The rating is based on the reaction of users – the amount of coverage of the audience and reposts.
So far Facebook has been leading in the field of viral content. We say without exaggeration – this is the most popular social network ( according to Pew Research ). Instagram and Pinterest, the nearest competitors, lag behind the number of the audience twice or more.
What are we so fiercely sharing in social networks?
TOP-5 posts in social networks (December 2016)
1. A new medicine for Alzheimer’s disease. Often in the TOP Facebook news fall reports of scientists or scientific discoveries. So, the most popular post of 2016 attracted attention to the article on the site Science Alert. 5 million users Facebook shared the opening. Note that in other social networks such a resonance was not.
2. Test for OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder). Playbuzz published a test for the nervous-psychiatric disorder, and for the sake of entertainment. But they did not expect this post to be broken up among 3 million users. But that’s exactly what happened.
According to Buffer, 35 Facebook subscribers are blogging pages just for the sake of participating in contests and having fun. Promotions and other events are popular among social networks. And anyway, people like gifts or something for free, so it’s not surprising.
3. 100 inspirational quotes. 3 million Pinterest users shared quotes in the format of pictures from the website Life Hack. Having noticed the success, the portal posted a post “100 inspirational quotes to overcome difficult times” in a month. It’s the brainchild of cunning 2 million users. We are looking for motivation and find it in pictures. The creators tried to choose the right theme. Difficult times are at all. Yes, and the format is well-chosen, due to which there was such involvement.
4. The firstborn is the most intelligent child in the family. Another case when the work of scientists is made public in social networks. The firstborn is in almost every family, which means that the author made a bet on a broad target audience.
The M2 portal reported on the research of the University of Leipzig. Scientists said children born first raise their IQ level because they teach younger children. Jazhteri and others could not just take and not lay off the post. And there were 2.8 million Facebook users in total.
5. Donald Trump. Probably, there is no such user who has not seen any news about Trump in the last year. By the way, the letter from the Huffington Post received the greatest coverage. The users reposted the content to show their involvement in the events in the world. And in general, during the presidential campaign and after the establishment of Trump President, people were interested in any news about Donald. Therefore, it is understandable why the political information guides were at the top. If you judge by repost, then the most popular article in the New York Times in 2016 was the political one.
It is clear that the opinion of the media personality can become a popular information guide. People will be lazy, repost, click, discuss.
This is followed by the following publications:
- 27 useful protein bars (2,2 million reposts)
- Bald men are more sexual and courageous (2,1 million reposts)
- Smart people are more slovenly, sleep less and sweat more (2 million reposts)
- Women need more sleep because their brain works more intensively (1.9 million reposts)
- TOP-10 fitness training is more intense (1.9 million reposts)
- The recipe for a nut cheesecake for Thanksgiving (1.7 million reposts)
And this is two positions higher than the news about the bombing of Syrian civilians by American aviation.
Speaking of Twitter, here in 2016, “shot” video of a happy Chewbacca. The video spread over all social networks, but Twitter gave the hero more popularity.
Let’s sum up the results
How do they capture attention in viral marketing? The words “scientists state / discovered / science/research” attract attention and raise the level of trust. The user shares new information and for good reason. This is motivated by personal development, the explanation of someone’s position, improvement.
And they are attracted to:
- The numbers. Yes, usual figures. Analysis, which is supported by specific figures, increases confidence. Yes, a sensible article cannot go to the audience, if it does not have digital data. There is nothing to be surprised.
- Opinion leaders, media personalities and their point of view. This is especially true against the backdrop of political campaigns. The user feels an attachment to a certain group, and this unites like-minded people.
- Inspiration and motivation. The stories can serve as motivation or inspiration. For example, about human kindness, free aid.
- Food and health. This topic, perhaps, will never die out. People are interested in news from the field of medicine, new recipes, diets.
- Images, selections, surveys, as it was said on the examples above.