This is not an article about how to look for clients or how to manage your time, there will not even be informed about the pros and cons of working as a freelancer or comparing studios with singles. This is a small step-by-step manual for those who take up working with a check up to 500 USD and most often have no team.
Do not expect to see here something supernatural, the usual conveyor approach.
I describe the situation when you want to get the result for this money, but not to drain the budget or just enter money and rest in Thailand.
The first thing you need is to discuss with the client that the work of the programmer and designer is not included in this check. The introduction of my TK usually costs several thousand dollars, it is a tangible% at the start of the work when you already have where to spend money and energy.
The second thing to discuss is that you will not buy links in the first 3-6 months. With such a budget, this does not make sense in almost any topic, it is better to order an extra 50 texts. But there are exceptions:
- LP for one product in a very narrow niche.
- The site already has 300+ pages of text and quality such that you will not rewrite from scratch, but only
- PS – Google, you need to promote an old domain that was not exactly under the “Penguin” and the theme is not VC.
The last point before the start: correctly estimate your work hour and put in the project a certain time limit. I note at once that when you tell the client the budget is 500 USD, put time in it at 600-650 in the first month if you do not want to lose the client at the end of the “probation period”. In any case, you spend more than 100-150 USD on customer search, and explain to him that all your time is spent writing 10 tasks in the task manager and “smoking” his analytics will not work, he will still want to see/feel something, for example, 100 texts for which you have not yet collected the CI …
Where to start?
There are two options for starting:
- Collecting the semantic kernel
- Internal optimization and tasks for programmers
Both options are good because you can show the client current results in the near future Yeni, and they can be done in parallel on the client side. It is important to puzzle the client during the first week, while he is closely monitoring your work.
Semantic core on the items
- Collect RF requests on the main sections of the site ( if they are> 70, then immediately start discussing the prioritization with the client). In 5-10 words. A good option is to use online services, not KeyCollector.
What is this for? At this stage, it is important to understand who your competitors are and to check out the delivery for the main shopping malls and price-pickers. If you find a site for receiving referral traffic, then immediately tell the client that you need to prepare and start communicating with them (you will tell the sections that need to be unloaded in them at the end of the month, when the semantics will be ready, and you can check their visibility) but creating a feed and communicating with their salespeople also take time.
2. What do we learn from competitors? We track the number of links to pages that have high visibility. And it makes no sense to look at TOP-brands, they and with zero references can be in TOP due to the internal weight. We monitor sites that are similar to promoted. We make for the future the conclusion how many links will be needed for HF queries.
The first two items are usually made during the pre-sale stage and are used during sales as hidden customer needs.
3. Collect semantics and expand the structure of the project. Start by analyzing the search queries of competitors from Ahrefs / Serpstat and SimilarWeb, run them with a cluster sizer and get the starting structure.
4. In the next step, finish each group with Key Collector. If you do not have VC-themes (and you should not have it with such a budget), then the starting structure is ready. Usually, this process lasts 3-6 months and goes in parallel with the addition of texts to the project. Further, it expands due to the manual development of the assortment and logical keychains.
5. If the subjects are complex and the project is not very trusted, then it’s better to start with low-frequency requests.
6. Each group of requests (cluster) is a separate text. The page itself can be of a different format – from the product format to the article or FAQ-answer.
7. Do not forget the ready semantics to add to the tracking services, with the target page and grouping, so that the client can see your work.
8. If the semantics is chosen completely, start digging in the direction of information requests from neighboring topics.
9. To write correctly the texts, it is necessary to conduct experiments and investigate the issue, the ranking factors vary and may differ slightly in different topics. Most often, open solutions describe non-working solutions, so check them before implementing them on client projects.
I recommend extending the project to at least 100 pages with texts. Usually not less than 500 pages. This is an average of 100 pages with optimization per month.
I will not describe all this with the other. I hope you understand what is internal linking and “useful” pages for PS.
It consists of:
- Duplication errors
- Data from Webmasters and adding information to them
- The relevance of pages to requests
- Problems at the code and server level
- Microdrawing settings and tasks for increasing CTR
- Tasks over corral in the index of pages
- Optimization of site speed
- SEO-usability improvements
- promoted CR
Perhaps my diagram specifications will help in making your manual typical questions and problems.
Each item can be written into a full story, and sometimes in the materials cycle. Most of the answers are publicly available. To do this well, you just need experience and personal experiments.
On each of your projects, try to close each of the items described above as much as possible. Open the project, take the “Duplication Errors” and start thinking about duplicate meta tags, what tools to use them, why not all links from the Webmaster see “frog”, what content other than meta tags is duplicated and by whom (satellites on your texts, stolen pictures from you) , the problems of duplicate blocks, the problems of www., https, slashes, etc. Everything you can think of on this topic. And so in each direction.
At the output, you should get a task pool for the programmer. NOT LIST OF ERRORS, this is not an audit, you are already working with the client. A programmer does not have to become an SEO specialist and figure out how it should be right.
Use any of the task managers. Take the account for yourself, the price is quite loyal, considering how many problems you will save your customers and yourself.
I highly recommend learning to programme if you do not already know it.
The internal optimization process is quite long and permanent, but the bulk of the tasks – the most critical ones – should be delivered by the end of the first month.
As early as the first month, you should analyze the project’s history in analytics, work through each recession and increase, clarify with the client what happened at that time (most often he can answer). Leave the analytic setting, expanding its informativeness and sharpening the business processes for the next months. Often, the solution to the problems of downturns is due to errors on the site and the closure/removal of part of the content. If you solve them, you can very quickly get a good growth.
But in the first month you should ask a number of questions about the business to the client: that you understand how to build the correct prioritization; what real payback of investments and where it is not necessary to climb at all; which of the requests are the most marginal; how sales are recorded and whether it can be integrated into analytics; who makes decisions on your work and what are his “Wishlist” and red flags.
What to do from the second month?
Continue that did not have time in the first. Continue to focus on expanding the structure of the project. But now we start to connect methods of improving behavioral factors and make a base external optimization, prepare for local requests.
You should have your own list of free (or very cheap) links. It should close several functions:
- Local promotion (usually 20-70 regional portals and play marks).
- Generating search engine hits to the site to speed up reindexing (usually 50-150 links from your
- Closing all social networks that competitors have.
- Create profiles for local promotion (depend on PS and region).
- Use the entire grid of client projects usually, they are quite a lot – from branded one-page to unsuccessful online businesses in similar
- Get the most links from the client’s partners.
This work can be smeared for several months, you can close for one. This will not be enough for HF queries, but this is important for LF-midrange traffic.
If we do not go into the details of behavioral factors, we can single out one key function that the SEO specialist must close. The visitor who came to the site should stay on it and not return to the search page.
Here are some methods that work:
- Online consultant. It is always much more clickable than the conversion of calls on the phone, which means it helps to solve the client’s problems. Perhaps the goods that the customer is looking for are no longer producing for 3 years, and he is looking for him on sites and spoiling you PF.
- Pop-up for those leaving the site. It works pretty well, and it’s always a chance to delay the extra 10-20 seconds of the user, which in turn reduces the chance of the return to the search result.
- Useful widgets and selling blocks (“Why Us”, “How is Delivery”, “Commodity Tests”, etc.). The longer the client you have, the less chance that he will continue searching now somewhere else, maybe he will remember about them tomorrow, but that will not do any harm to you.
- Work on the first impression – that the visitor does not close the site before you look at its contents and find out what you have, what to offer. It is often associated with the redesign of the entire site or key blocks in the visibility zone. The mobile version of the project can also be referred to here.
- Ask the customer to make the minimum price in the market for key “goods-choices”. Dumping remains the best stimulator of PF and conversions.
- Play a marketer and try to predict the customer’s desires, the range of goods, etc.
What else should an SEO specialist do?
If you work with such a check, then for sure you are the best analyst on the project. And so you have to configure the analytics and connect it with CRM. Why is it necessary for SEO? At a minimum, this will give you +42 points in karma from the customer. But more importantly, you need contextual advertising for promotion, and launching it without good analytics is draining the money and turning off the RC in a month is unscrewed.
You will work with the context or someone else is not so important, but Advertising should be because it is a generator of direct traffic and brand requests. If you can build a good amount of visits with a positive ROMI, then after a while your project will start growing without external promotion due to the growth of trust.
Then there are many ways of development (buying links – only one of them and often quite not mandatory), and even this brief summary can be expanded depending on your style of work and the subject of the project, the client’s needs and resources available. But do it so that the next client does not say that there are some scammers in SEO who take money just like that.
If you invest a lot, even with a low check you can achieve results, but it’s important to work on the key stages, but not spray. If you start experimenting and trying something new, do it so that the main works do not suffer.